On a sad note, Mickey Weaver died on March 4, 2021. A lifelong tennis enthusiast, Mick opened the Twin Tier Racquet Club in 1974 and operated it for the next forty-two years. GETA enthusiasts came up with innovative ideas for playing and Mickey was always willing to make them happen. His Club included pictures of historical tennis stars who came for exhibitions, including Grand Slam winner John Newcomb. The link to his obituary is here: https://www.legacy.com/amp/obituaries/star-gazette/197966066
INDOOR TENNIS IS OPEN!!! Go to the Indoor Tennis menu item to learn more about seasonal contracts, costs, Pay-to-play Mixers on Saturdays, Sundays and Mondays (youth only).
If you have never played at the Murray Athletic Center (also known as the Domes), please email or text me (John Renz: email@example.com 802.825.7997).
GETA urges all to review safe recommendations and make reasonable decisions to protect yourself and others.
Anyone can Call Arnot Health’s COVID-19 Helpline at 1-800-952-2662 to find out how you can get tested.
IMPORTANT: Everyone must follow the requirements below:
- If you have any symptoms of possible infection with COVID-19, stay home.
- All individuals entering the facility must complete a daily COVID-19 questionnaire.
- (I have done this at my fitness center; it asks questions to make sure you do not have symptoms of being ill and have not travelled where you could have gotten infected.)
- Doors have signage on them for entering and exiting the facility.
- Enter the facility with the doors on your right.
- Exit with the opposite doors now on your right.
- Masks are required for all staff and student-athletes in the facility. (I have asked for clarification and as of 11/12 this is it:)
- To enter the building, one must wear a mask.
- Continue wearing a mask to walk to your court and where you will set your water, etc.
- Keep 6-feet of separation when walking the corridors and the lobby (there may be youth hockey and their parents entering and exiting as you do).
- Keep 6-feet of separation between players on the sideline before play, at changeovers and after play.
- Wearing a mask during play is not required (some players may prefer to wear a mask, as of 11/12 that is optional).
- A mask is required when leaving the court and walking to the exit.
- Follow all COVID-19 signage (wash hands, wear a mask, social distancing, etc.) posted all over the facility.
- There will be tables set up with hand sanitizer and paper towels throughout the facility; use the products when appropriate.
The college has taken these steps for everyone’s safety:
- A fogger/disinfectant sprayer is used throughout the facility.
- They’ve increased the number of times that restrooms, locker rooms, and high traffic areas are being cleaned and sanitized each day.
Waiver of Liability Form
All of us who are choosing to get out of our homes know that contracting COVID-19 is a risk. If you are choosing to play indoor tennis, you are doing so aware of the risk. The College and GETA are requiring a legal document that avoids our liability of your choosing to play tennis, in the event you were to contact Covid-19. The language in the waiver was developed by the USTA (United States Tennis Association) and indoor facilities are using it.
View/Print Waiver of Liability Form
Please read, sign and return the waiver to me by email or mail:
39 Sunnyside Drive
Elmira, NY 14905
Below is a link to the USTA’s Safety Playing Recommendations due to the virus. (April 23)